Tuesday, August 25, 2009

And they walk amungst us...........

The Wilson family went to Paducah Kentucky this past weekend. It was a wonderful road trip. I could spend some time telling you about all the wonderful things we did and all the wonderful people we met, but instead I will just suggest you read about that at my wife Angie's blog. She tells about the trip better than I could.

Instead, I just want to dwell on a few points of interest. Points that didn't even fully sink in until after we had been home a while.

First let me briefly clue you in to why we went to Paducah. We could have gone to see the land between the lakes, or the beautiful scenery, or to go camping, or see some caves. All of these things may have been wonderful, but they are not why we went. We went to Paducah to spend some time with some 'friends'. I use the quotes on purpose in a positive manner. Our 'friends' in Paducah are much much more than just friends, they are some people that we have bonded with and are connected to in a very special and indescribable way. But, I wont go into that bond either, that is not what I want to talk about today.

One of the people we went to visit is a 5 year old little lady named Stevie. Stevie is one of Gracie's Hunan sisters. It is important to us that these little ladies get to spend some time together. Angie and I enjoyed seeing the whole Collins family, mom, dad, and the other three kids, the grandparents and the very special aunt Suzanne. But this isn't about us, its about Gracie and Stevie.

Actually, as I learned later, its not even about Gracie and Stevie. It was all about God and the work of the Holy Spirit. (uh oh, here he goes again!!)

When we arrived in Paducah after an 8 hour trek through the blue grass state, Stevie ran out and grabbed Gracie, they hugged, the loved on each other, and then the two Hunans locked hands and arms and ran away into the house. I would not see my daughter again but briefly for the next several days. Gracie was busy, she was with 'sissy'. They ran, they played, they enjoyed each others company.

What we witnessed in the next few days was pure love, agape love, unconditional love with no expectations, they just wanted to be with each other. When they came together their two little spirits fused into one. They became two little girl bodies sharing one spirit, one Holy Spirit. They were experiencing life the way God intended, purely and innocently. When it was time to leave and they hugged goodbye a few times it was a sad sad sight. As the two little hearts broke and separated back into two spirits there was whaling and sobbing and mournful tears. The love, the bond, the connection that holds these two together is too strong and pure to be anything else but Gods hand. Gracie sobbed and whaled for about 50 miles on the way home. She cried out that she wanted her Stevie. It was truly heartbreaking to her my little boogs so sad. It is truly heartwarming to know that God is attentive to her as to provide her with such a love and bond.

When I say this weekend was about God, this is what I am talking about. Who is God? The scriptures answer this question many times in many ways.

God is Love.......

When you look at these girls you see love, if you look closer you see God's hands all over them. God put Stevie with the Collins family and Gracie with us as part of His plan. We are together so we can teach these girls and raise them in Gods will, and these girls are with us to teach us who God is and that He loves us and provides for us.

Now, to the point of things. Please never forget that God is with us, but also remember that they walk among us. The demons are here and whenever God is pleased with us and His work in us, the devil gets pissed and comes after you.

I have been sharing a story about love, now let me tell you about hate. Let me tell you about the road trip home and what I view as a failure in my faith.

After traveling some 150 miles give or take we reached the end of the Western Kentucky parkway. It was time to get off the east/west corridor and get on a north/south highway. We were traveling in nowhereland western Kentucky and the small crossroads burg that popped up around the interchange was the closest thing to civilization around. You know the kind of thing I am talking about, its pretty much open land except for the 3 gas stations and a truck stop that surround the interchange of the highways. We stop and go inside the BP to use the restrooms. This is when I nearly lost my mind.

Let me remind you briefly of the way my brain works. I have a built in situational awareness meter. I will call it my observ-o-meter. On a scale of 1-10 my observ-o-meter is usually running above average in the 6 range on a normal day on my turf. On road trips, my meter bumps up to a 7-8 range just because. When we walk into this BP my meter spiked like a Geiger counter at a Chernobyl dairy farm. My blood ran from warm plasma to cold adrenaline when I walked through the door.

Every gas station I have ever been in has a rule, no shoes, no shirt, no service. Immediately upon entering this establishment I notice a large male with no shirt. I will now list the next series of observ-o-meter reports.


  1. Large male, no shirt
  2. Hair shorter than mine (IE balder than me)
  3. Muscles not from working but from working out.
  4. Large biceps, large chest but no back muscles or shoulders (this means either he has some basic equipment in his basement or he worked out in oh I don't know prison maybe)

  5. Large quantity of tattoos. (not wearing a shirt might be to advertise his body art)

  6. Tattoos were of a racist nature. (Large swastika across his back, noose on his left arm, Arian Brotherhood across his chest and stomach)
  7. This is a bad bad man.






My mind went into overdrive instantly. There were about 10 people milling around in this crossroads station. I stepped up to get between my wife and daughter and this guy. He was headed to the fountain to get himself a Slurpee and apparently his situational awareness wasn't as acute as mine because we passed unnoticed. As we reached the bathrooms I put my hand on Angie's shoulder and told her ," don't let go of her, at all!" The guy then paid for his stuff and left. While I was in the men's room I took a few minutes to let my adrenaline level come back down while I pondered what would I have done if he had observed or heaven forbid approached us. I then realized just how tense my muscles had become as they began to ache as the stress level lowered. I also realized that when I blocked his view of my daughter I had let my right hand slide into my pocket to make sure I could reach my 4" Benchmade blade.

I was mentally and physically preparing to roll with this dude. This begs the next question, "what, am I stupid?" In reality if I had brawled with this guy he would have pounded me and my bad shoulder into salt. If I was to pull my blade to remove some of this fools body art I probably would have been bringing a knife to a gun fight, again, stupid. I kept running scenario's through my mind, could I bust his knee and get the family out the door fast enough? Could I depend on the other people around to help me out, most likely not. If a conflict had occurred that room would have cleared faster than a co-ed dorm during a pantie raid. Could I call 911 and get some official help? Most likely no again, I could see Roscoe P Coltrain showing up with Enis in tow to take us both down to visit Boss Hog. I was just feeling lucky that I was able to block his view and avoid any conflict because I don't know how I would have handled it other than to say it would have been ugly and I would have done whatever was needed to protect my daughter.







Now, here is the failure of my faith that I didn't recognize till later.

Even though this bad boy was advertising his hate and his ignorance. Even though he obviously was a victim of the deceiver and his soul been devoured by the devourer. Even though my feeling was that this guy was possessed by a legion of demons like so much swine. I had no need to worry. Worrying has never added even a day to anyones life. I had nothing to fear, God did not provide the spirit of fear. Whilst I was worrying about what I should do, God was directing my steps. While I was fretting about what could happen, God was protecting my daughter. While I was concerned about taking a thumping to protect my family, God had already hidden us from harm. Gracie could have walked through there in a clown suit with big red shoes playing a big base drum and singing the rainbow connection and I don't think the guy would have seen her.

Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,I will fear no evil: For thou art with me;Thy rod and thy staff, they comfort me.Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies;Thou annointest my head with oil; My cup runneth over.

This is where I failed in my faith. I should have not feared. I should have not worried. I should have not wondered if we would be protected. I should have known we were not alone instead of hoping we were not alone.


I did not have the faith of even a mustard seed, because if I did I would not have reacted thinking "I" needed to take care of things. I would have known that "we" would have taken care of things. I may have had to be David and the Lord may have given me the strength and wisdom to slingshot a bag of peanut M&M's against his eggbag and drop him to his knees. I may have been called on to give the brother a hug and minister to his broken spirit. I may have been called on to grasp his forehead and cast out a legion of demons Benny Hinn style, (thats Glory on ya, mah) Or, as was the case, the Lord blinded the evil one from even seeing those who belong to Him.


Some of you may read this and think that I am a total nut job. You may be right. Some of you may read this and think that looking back I just believe what I want to believe and that this is not what really happened, and you might be right too. As for me, I can now look back and I believe God intervened to protect Gracie from all harm. I believe this because He was with her all weekend because only God could possibly make two groups of people enjoy each other so very much. Whether I am right, or I am a nut job, I can look back and give God all the Glory, for I truly did nothing.......







1 comment:

Sherry said...

Chris, you certainly have a way with words!!! I don't know why, but this is the first time I have read your blog....or at least this posting. And it is beautiful!! Thanks for helping me to remember a great weekend...and hope we can do it again real soon!!! It was such a special time for those 2 little girls, you almost had to be there to see/know it. Your words told it great, though. Keep up the good job.