Monday, February 8, 2010

Things I have learned lately........

I haven't posted in over a month, doesn't seem like its really been that long but it has. I have been occupied with a variety of things but I wanted to take a quick minute to share some of the things I have learned ( or been reminded of ) lately..........

  • Gracie will one day compete in the Winter X games. She went sledding on a real hill for the first time this weekend. She had no fear, just a thirst to try it, looked fun I guess. Her little body isn't heavy enough to create drag on the disc or wind resistance so she just picks up more and more speed. She out slid the course and ran up into the bushes her first two times down. Third time she hit the second hill too fast and sideways, after a double twist McFlip she planted face down in the snow. Even though she was giggling the entire time, once she pulled her face out of the snow she made two discoveries. First, a face full of snow is cold, she didn't like being cold. Second, everyone was looking at her with their mouth open because the flip thing was so cool ( Kewl even ) so she got a little embarrassed. With the help of Pastor Brian and Sav' ( a teen ) Gracie gave the hill one last shot, but then she was done for the day but she wants to go back and try again later, after she warms up I think.
  • When friendships cant survive a difference of opinion, perhaps the people involved were not friends to begin with. Real friendships can survive a little strain after all. Real friendships can survive the knowledge that no two people agree on everything. I have been reminded lately of who my friends are. Some folks I don't see or talk to very often are still very much my good friends, others who I keep attempting to spend time with and talk with after an issue developed are being less than receptive. I always find it interesting to see God's pruning shears in action.
  • Change is a bizarre and confusing animal. Things that you are certain are gone and lost for ever suddenly re-appear unexpectedly. My wife (Angie) and I have chosen to make this the year of reaching out. This is more my thing than our thing, but we are both engaging in the activity. It is certain that nothing will be as it was, or even normal, but a new normal is just fine. I have made contact with three long lost relatives, one of which I never really even knew. I am still working on building a relationship with a cousin that was lost to me for nearly 10 years. The newest 3 cousins I have just made initial contact with in the last few weeks. Relationship building is the goal for this year and beyond. I have also accidentally made contact with a few people I used to go to school with, maybe new friendships can be built this year as well. This is the year of reaching out in my family. Just as an interesting aside, our church is having a year long sermon series called "Beyond". Its about going beyond and applying the knowledge, living the life, or dare I say, reaching out. It is always a good feeling to have affirmation and backing that what your feeling the need to do is the correct and right thing.
  • Baking soda soaks dog urine up out of carpet, stain included, who knew?
  • Socks soak dog urine up out of carpet too, but only if your wearing them at the time.
  • People you help out and do things for will eventually take advantage of you. You must keep this in mind. Do it anyway, but you will need to remind yourself that your doing these things because it was the right thing, not because you wanted or expected recompense. If you do things for the wrong reason, you will surely be disappointed. Conversely, if someone does a service and kindness for you, endeavour your best to recognize their efforts even though you can likely never repay their kindness.
  • Parenting and Patients both start with the letter "P".
  • Homework and Hell both start with the letter "H".
  • Never attempt to apply logic to children, animals, or groups. Group mentality is just as random as the others.

Enough for now, hopefully I wont wait so long before spewing more of these McNuggets of wisdom..........

1 comment:

Lois said...

Chris,
Thanks for the mcnuggets of wisdom...and for my giggle for the day.
you rock!