Monday, April 21, 2008

kewl news




I have just a bit of news to report. This may be no big deal to anybody else, but its big to me. Actually, its huge, its El Grande Burrito, its Absolutely Fabulous, the most wonderful thing since Tiggers, (and we know Tiggers are wonderful things), it’s the best thing since sliced bread (what exactly does that mean anyway?) Its the coolest thing since the Cool Ghoul (reference to old King Kwik commercial, yes I am showing my age) Its bigger than big news, its better than breaking news, its more exciting than tabloid news. I mean who cares about earthquakes, global warming, and Hannah Montana anyway, this is a news flash about my dad.

Enough build up yet? Yeah, for now. Let me tell you what has me just a bit excited. I got a call from my mom last night, no that’s not all that exciting, but the reason for her call could explain earthquakes, global warming, and the Hannah Montana thing. (okay there is no good explanation for her) She called to tell me that my dad asked her to go to church last night. I am about 40 years old, and in my lifetime this is a first. He actually wanted to go. Mom hasn’t been in church but a handful of times in the last 40 either. Not only did he want to go, and actually go through with it, but he listened to the sermon, and then took communion. This was another first. He did go to church as a child, but his first communion came yesterday, in his late fifties. I was shocked, stunned, and amazed. But mostly I was and am just gleefully excited for him. I can feel the earth rumbling now as the devil looses his grip on one more. I tossed up one hand in praise as I received the news. The neatest part to stand back and watch is in my knowing I had nothing to do with it, I didn’t preach at him, I didn’t witness to him, I did nothing but stand back and watch God at work. It was just simple grace, and maybe a little bit of Grace as well. I hope and pray that this first leap continues into a full-blown walk in faith.
For some folks this is just a little thing, a man taking first communion, no big deal. For me, it’s the coolest thing since flying monkeys.

2 comments:

Dreaming again said...

Oh CHRIS!! This is tremendous news!!! I'm rejoicing with you!!!

Anonymous said...

I need to read this post, but for now, you've been tagged...

http://atypicalgirl.wordpress.com/2008/04/21/lets-play-tag/