Thursday, June 5, 2008

Fad

I have always been a fan of the fad. Fad is such an odd little term, it even looks odd when you type it. My favorite definition of fad is the one I will be using today, so its only fair of me to share that definition with you.


Online Etymology Dictionary
noun:
an interest followed with exaggerated zeal; "he always follows the latest fads"; "it was all the rage that season"


or:


American Heritage Dictionary

n. A fashion that is taken up with great enthusiasm for a brief period of time; a craze.



My favorite fad has been the Micro Brew Beer industry. I cant say I really drink beer these days, but I can be convinced by bright shiny boxes and cute advertising gimmicks to try some new product. Some of you might say that Micro Brew Beer isn't a fad because it has gotten too big and has been around too long, its more of a trend now because the big beer boys are all gone. I would argue the opposite, the Micro industry is always in such a flux that it defines what a fad is. The industry has been around a while and has grown a lot, but the thousands of brewers in the mix are always changing and always hitting on new items, new fads. I believe this industry has the ability to define what our cultural fads are.




Example number one comes from the Shmaltz Brewing Company. During the rise of concern with our Muslim planetary counterparts there has been a movement towards things of a more Jewish, and therefore, Kosher nature. I cant directly connect this beers existence to 9/11 because it is 9 years old and thus pre-dates this era, but its rise in popularity could be attributed to the event. The name of the beer?







He'Brew Messiah Bold. No, I didn't just make that up, so I posted a picture of the bottle. I have actually consumed a grand total of 2 of these (not bad, a bit strong for me) and shared the other 4. It also comes in a flavor called, " Genesis 10:10"







Example number two comes from Peak Organic beer. learn more about organic . Peak is one of many new upstart micro brew beers that is certified organic. Why organic, because its a fad, its part of the green fad. Don't take me wrong, we need to go towards green, but our entrepreneurial capitalistic consumeristic society will bleed a shiny new penny out of any trend and create a niche market fad to suck up some bucks.




This shows me that once again micro brew beers clearly hang a glowing neon sign on 'going green' and just like that it has become a fad. I shall now officially dub this the 'eco-fad of the new millinia'. Yes we need to become more earth aware, but organic beer? There is even a California based micro brew who moved operations into an old lumber mill so they can use left over wood chips and saw dust as their sole source for their brewing heat. This allegedly Eco friendly beer brand also is certified organic.

I walked into Kroger (local grocery) the other evening and made an interesting observation. A new sign was hung off to one side of the meat department, right next to the deli. The sign read, "New, organic meat" (again, I am not making this up, even I couldn't make this up) My first flippant thought was that they actually started putting meat in the deli cuts, but upon closer review, 'cause you just have to look, I found that they installed an entire new section with organic chicken, organic beef, and organic pork.


Lets see here, what does organic mean exactly?


Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1)

adjective
1. noting or pertaining to a class of chemical compounds that formerly comprised only those existing in or derived from plants or animals, but that now includes all other compounds of carbon.
2. characteristic of, pertaining to, or derived from living organisms: organic remains found in rocks.
3. of or pertaining to an organ or the organs of an animal, plant, or fungus.


............
15. a substance, as a fertilizer or pesticide, of animal or vegetable origin.


Using this definition, what exactly are they saying by stating organic (whatever) Hasn't my meat always been organic, I mean com'on, its meat for heaven sakes. Does it mean the animal wasn't injected with hormones? not unless it states hormone free beef, does it mean there were no antibiotics used? not unless it says antibiotic free chicken, does it mean anything that we as mere mortal consumers assume it does? All it means is you get to feel good about overpaying. Organic, most typically, can be translated directly to Yiddish by using the word 'putz' or its near synonym, 'schmuck'

Once again I feel the need to restate the obvious. Chicken is now and has always been organic, hot dogs you could argue, bologna and Twinkies are not organic, they are not really even food. Celery is now and has always been organic, the cheese whiz you put on it, not so much. As a consumer, please try to avoid using euphemisms. We tend to fall into the logic that organic means good for you and good and safe to eat. Urine is organic, you can put it over organic ice if you like, but its still gonna taste like.............. okay you get the picture.


I think I will open a new business, I will call it my organic water cafe. Imagine the possibilities.


About The Water



1 comment:

Unknown said...

YO! (Insert car noise here...) Drive by comment!