Monday, December 15, 2008

Monster B Gone

It has been and interesting week at the Wilson's. Gracie got to cheer at her first basketball game this Saturday. I use the terms 'cheer' and 'game' rather loosely in this application. The game was started at 6:30 PM, which was a little late for the little ones. Gracie had a few issues, comical issues but issues none the less. First one was that the girls, all 5 of them, were not overly accustomed to the surrounding of a basketball game, so when the coach had them sit in a row beyond the end line (only about 3 feet of space before the wall) and wait for the previous game to be over, the girls did just that. They sat, and as little girls are want to do, they talked and giggled. Notice that I didn't say they were watching the game because they were not. Due to their lack of awareness, naturally, three of the five got balls bounced off of them. Nobody got hurt, therefore, it was just another cool thing for them to giggle and talk about.

Gracie was not one of the three to take a header compliments of the sixth grade basketball team. However, this event made her leery of the players and more focused on the game. Too focused on the game as it would turn out. When the coach lined them up she put Gracie, who is 4 to 6 inches shorter than the rest, at the end of the line, right next to the basket. Gracie didn't pay any attention to the coach at this point and just intently watched the ball. When players got near her she would back away from her spot and flinch if they drew to close with the ball in their hands. The coach soon decided that maybe lining them up from shortest to tallest would be a better idea and brought Gracie down to first in line, right next to her. Gracie did much better in this spot.

Now we come home and go to bed. Gracie is tired and so am I. After having been in bed for about an hour I see her perched sheepishly at the top of the stairs. She has "B" (her blanket) wrapped around her face just above her nose and she is carrying Bitty (her stuffed Bischon puppy) and is looking down at me. I call her down the stairs and she slowly comes down and crawls up into my lap and lays her head on my shoulder and snuggles in. Hmmm, something is amiss here. It might be time for (dumt dumt dumt dah) Super Plumber Ninja Dad to save the day. I ask the fine citizen what can I do for her. Short answer, bad dreams, again. Long answer, which is what we got, went something like this.

"Well, uhm, daddy, uhm, sometimes, uhm, you know, uhm, ( right about now I think she could be a speech writer for Obama) I haven't watched the, uhm, Disney princess show, you know, uh, the one with the scary witch, uh, and uhm, the things popping out, uh, in a very long really long time uhm, I haven't, but at school, the have a princess book with, uhm, witches and stuff, and uh, sometimes, I know I shouldn't, but, I know your going to tell me, um, they arent real, it just a cartoon, uh, but, I still, I, uhm, when I dream about them, I, uhm, I scared. So, I just wanted, uh, I know Jesus keeps me safe uhm, and you will keep......................"



At this point I interrupted her. Super Plumber Ninja Dad has an idea. First I asked what in the dream scared her. The answer was ," witches and wolf-is"




Okay, time to spring into action with my cat like reflexes, or in this case, turn her over to .......................... Super Facebook Samurai Mom.

While I cuddle the little citizen and keep her safe and cozy, mom goes into the other room and comes back with a spray bottle, not just any spray bottle mind you. This is a very special spray bottle. As momma explains, this bottle is filled with Monster Repellent, or Monster Be Gone. All a citizen needs to do is spray it around her room and she can run off all the withes, wolf-is, or other creatures that keep kids away at night. It smells nice and it runs off monsters. (its actually a bottle of Febreze fabric freshener.) My trusty side kick is ready to put her plan into action. The two of them bound up the steps and Gracie takes control of her dreams by hosing down her room in freshness. Gracie is happy and goes to sleep. Super Facebook Samurai Mom is happy she has conquered, and the house is again quiet.



Ever since that night, Gracie's room and bedding is oh so fresh...........

No comments: