Monday, September 29, 2008

Ed.


Sent:
Mon 9/29/08 6:28 AM


To whom it may concern, You have a person in your employ by the name of Edworth ******. I requested your email addresses so that I might drop you a line concerning this gentleman. I have a short story to tell you concerning a claim that was filed as a result of the strong winds that came through southern Ohio on the heals of hurricane Ike. A storm came through southern Ohio and put 680 thousand people out of power and removed the better part of the shingles on my roof. The damage was done on a Sunday afternoon. Early monday morning I called the toll free claim line for my Nationwide insurance and filed a claim. I was told that an adjuster would call me and come out to take a look in the next five days. I waited until Friday late afternoon before being concerned since I was told five days. On day five and I had not heard from anyone, I decided I needed to be a little more pro-active and make some phone calls to see if Nationwide was just running a little behind or if maybe my phone number was recorded in err, as this sort of thing does happen. The first problem I encounter is that none of the toll free lines I had the numbers for were being manned by humans, only computers, unless I had an extension number. I was not given an extension number, but I found a way around this and left messages for Amanda, Angie, and Bob at one of the numbers. None of them returned my call. As I remember, they work in an office in Centerville Ohio. I got a little more creative and found my way to an office in Canton Ohio and spoke with a man named Joe. Joe was less than helpful. He informed me that I didnt have a claim, or an adjuster, but I should just wait and both would appear sometime in the future. We discussed this in some detail, but his answer was always the same, "I am told to just tell you we are busy and doing the best we can, we will help you as soon as possible" He repeated this line so frequently that it was obvious he wasnt going to be of any help. Though the help of my local agent I also was put in contact with a live person in Des Moine Iowa. This person was a little more helpful, but not a great deal. By now this is becoming very frustrating as I am not even sure if my claim has really been filed, and if it has, when I might be hearing something. The difficulty is that in my area almost all the homes suffered roof damage and all the reputable roofers were taking names for a waiting list that was growing everyday, so I needed to know if I could at least get on a list. Finally I come in contact with your office, and a gentleman named Edworth. Edworth was the most professional person I had come into contact with so far. He was the 9th person I had spoken to and the 4th office (I think) that I had made contact with. Ed called me back after my local agent left him a message on his phone with literally minutes. He gave me a number and extension to reach him directly, I also was given his email and cell phone numbers. Ed provided me with information that I deemed more trustworthy and explanations of the situation that were honest and believable. Ed also provided me with options. He told me that I could wait for an adjuster and he would do what was possible to get one to me quickly but could make no promises, but if I wanted to send him the pictures of the damage and maybe get an estimate on my own, that he 'might' be able to take care of things without an adjuster coming out. I had the pictures to him that night and he called me the next day to confirm receipt of them. (also a more professional behavior than what I had seen so far) I let Ed know that I had a guy doing an estimate that day and would have it to him the next day. From all of this he was able to process my claim and get a check out to me in a matter of days. I received my check, less the deductable, on Saturday and am now on a waiting list to get the repairs done. Ed is my hero. I say Ed is my hero, a little bit jokingly, but Ed is really your hero (you being Nationwide). I was already having some problems with the car insurance before this happened and the overall poor performance of Nationwide in this case had me feeling the need to look for a new company. Ed's consistent professionalism and honestly concerned effort to take care of one individual customer has convinced me to stay on with Nationwide. I am still not happy with the cost of my car insurance but I will give it a year and then start pushing for cost reductions. By the way, I have been with Nationwide for 25 years for all my insurance needs. Please do what you can to recognize Ed and his superior performance. He is truly well ahead of his peers.



The check arrived on Saturday. Above is the letter I sent to the bosses of Ed. Good luck Ed, and may the force be with you.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Glad you got it taken care of finally and HOORAY for Ed and those like him!

Anonymous said...

Wow, I'm glad that Ed could help you. I also hope that Ed gets a copy of your e-mail so that he can put it away and remember awesome customers like you. :) Everyone needs an Ed to help 'em out and a Chris to route 'em on!