Monday, May 19, 2008

Answer number two


This post is in response to Ruth, or "Ruthless" as she is known to the YMX community. She asked:


I would like you to write about, "Why I need to take my family on a trip to Texas to visit Ruth and her family." And feel free to add something nice about enjoying our porch swing and a glass of sweet tea.


Ruth


Okay here we go:



I came home from work one day, tired and a bit cranky which is not at all unusual, and found my wife a bit misty eyed sitting at the kitchen table. When I asked what was the matter she said that she had received a gift in the mail. Now, understand this, its not her birthday, Christmas, Anniversary, or even Arbor Day, this is just one of those gifts that show up from friends because someone was thinking about you. Turns out, (I think I remember) that one of Ruth's' Granddaughter made a little photo album (or brag book as they are sometimes called) that had a little Chinese princess caricature on the front of it to send to Angie and Gracie. This has become one of those precious little gifts that remind us of just how blessed we are. Ruth is a lady whom I have never actually met, but let me tell you what I know of her. First and foremost I know Ruth is a lady, by definition a lady, by geography a Southern lady, specifically a Texas lady. If you don't know what that means, I haven't words to explain, but lets just say its special. I know she is a wonderful wife and marriage is a special and respected thing to her. I know she is also a very loyal and marvelous mother who has made every effort to be a good mom and prepare her children for life, not just raise them but teach them and prepare them. I also know she is the kind of Grandma every kid wishes for, one who is there, active with them and caring for them. Ruth has also been and is a long term servant of God. She has shared her giftings with many many a kid and I think she still misses that sometimes, but God is working something else in her right now. My impression of Ruth's personality is also that she carries many a scar on her tongue because she knows when she can say something and when its best left alone, but she is a women of strong opinions who will share them if its at all appropriate. She is the person from whom I have adopted this phrase, "they just needed killin' "


This mighty woman of God lives in Texas, where everything is bigger. I yearn for the day that we can drive to the Texas border at which time we will be half way there. I look forward to sitting on her porch swing with a cool breeze blowing through sipping on some sweat tea and listening to Angie speak in her Kentucky drawl and Ruth in her Texas drawl while I just listen to the words work their magic in the fresh night air. I would also enjoy bringing hurricane Gracie to Texas to hang out with her and the grand kids. I think this hurricane would be welcome because even though she might bring in some rain and a storm or two, she will leave things warmer than when she arrived and clean up her own mess before departing.


Yes Ruth, I can think of many a reason to visit Texas.

2 comments:

Ruth said...

Chris, that was so sweet. Thank you. Here's hoping this comes true in the not too distant future!

smoochies to y'all!

Ruth

Anonymous said...

Ruthless rocks...and I'm pretty sure that everyone in all the word calls her "Ruthless". :)