Saturday, May 31, 2008

Words from Gracie


So I had my Gracie all to myself this Friday night. Momma went to see a movie with Jen and Gracie and I were off to spend the evening together and have a little fun. I took her to see her girlfriend at "Johnny Chans" Chinese buffet and we had dinner. After that we went to go get Pink. Gracie wanted "Pink" (Pink is a pink lemonade Sno-cone.) I called a friend on the way because "Pink" is in the old neighborhood. Once I reached Ms. Lisa on the phone I asked if I could kidnap her kids for about 20 minutes and take them all to get "Pink" This was accomplished, but Ms. Lisa's kids ordered first and they got "blue" so Gracie decided to get "blue" too. Once I took the now blue mouthed kids back home we hung out and I got to spend about 45 minutes visiting with my friend while the kids played. Gracie was so happy to see Ms. Lisa's' daughter because they get along so well and it had been at least 6 months since they spent any time together. This made Gracie happy and she asked if she would come out to our house and babysit for us, Gracie said she would let mom and daddy go do grown up stuff and they could play together. This will work out well at some point, not that we need to go do adult stuff (we do, but its not the priority) but it will work out because Gracie needs an older girlfriend she trusts and likes to fill this roll. The previous occupant of this roll doesn't have time for Gracie anymore and this has made her sad. Gracie has lots of friends in the new neighborhood that are around her age, but it takes a while before you can trust a young teen to take care of Gracie the Hunan Hissy Fit Queen.


Anyway, I digress.


After this welcome visit we start the 20 minute drive home with a brief respit at Mejiers to pick up some cleaning supplies. After meijers we only have a few minutes left before we are home. These few minutes driving contained a Word from Gracie that I will attempt to quote exactly.


"Daddy, why does those go up, and then down, up, and down, up and down, and up and then down, daddy, why does they do that like that..............Tell me WHY.!!"


"Why does what do what where?"


(she is in the backseat and I am driving but as she repeats the exact same words as though it would clear it up for me I catch her body movements out the corner of my eye. She is pointing at electrical lines and her hand is going up and down between the poles, aha, I figured it out)


"oh, Gracie, those are electrical lines, they say as they go from pole to pole."


"whats sag"


"It means they go up and down sweetie"


"Oh, Why does they sag?"


"They, well, its, uh, gravity sweety, its a thing called gravity"


"Oh, what sits on sags?"


"What?, oh, I see, bird will sometimes sit on the wires sweetie"


"Why?"


(Reaching for my spoon now to pluck out and eye)


"Because its convenient for them to do so"


"Oh, does anything else sit on sags?"


"Sometimes a squirrel will sit on the sag, I mean wire sweetie"


"How do they get up there?"


(Reaching for spoon, headed for other eye, blind driver alert)


"They climb up the pole and walk across the sag" ( I give up on calling it a wire now, its a sag, we all must just accept it)


"Can people climb up and sit on the sag?"


"No sweetie, if a person did that they would die"


"Would they fall down?"


"Yes, they would fall down"


"Then who comes to pick them up once they are dead?"


(Remember that I am now blind so I don't see this one coming)

"The coroner honey, the coroner comes to pick them up"


"NO HE DOESN'T, JESUS COMES TO PICK THEM UP"


(she is indignant that daddy could be so stupid, try and save this one daddy)


"Your right, Jesus comes to get them, after the coroner"


"Oh, will Jesus take them into the sky with Him?"


"Yes baby, Jesus will take them to the sky with Him in good time"


(She leans over and looks up at the sky which is lightly clouded and beautiful at 8:30 PM just starting to get a hint of pink going, but brace yourself for this one, I 'bout ran off the road)


"Does Jesus have a bathroom up there in case he has to go potty?"


(Snort)


" I suppose so, He has everything he needs"


" Does He have food?"


"Yes sweetheart, he has food"


"What does he like to eat?"


"Bread and water mostly" (Okay, that was just wrong but what would you do?)


"NO HE DOESN'T, Does he like strawberries?"


"I dunno"


"Does He like Chocolate?"


"I dunno"


"Does He like applesauce?"


"Honey, I don't know, I just don't know, I guess he would like applesauce and chocolate and strawberries, but I think he prefers bread and water. "


"Why does he like bread?"


"His Dad gave it to Him?" ( I know, I know, cut me some slack)


"Does He eat cheeseburgers and fries and macaroni and corn and grapes................?"


" Honey, I just don't know"


"Oh, can I have a goodnight snack when I get home?"


Just that quick the conversation moves on to goodnight snack, goodnight show, cuddling and what time will mommy be home. I would love to spend just 5 minutes inside that brain. Just five minutes to see the wonder of it all.

4 comments:

Angie said...

You're lucky your brain didn't explode! LOL How silly can you be, Daddy? OF COURSE Jesus is who comes to get you when you die! 'Cause her mommy taught her that!

Anonymous said...

I'm pretty sure that Jesus eats strawberries. It's in the Bible somewhere. :)

Unknown said...

Ha! Had many similar conversations with ours! They like to talk about Jesus and what he does, has, and is going to do.

Unknown said...

Jesus didn't eat strawberries! He ate figs! ;p