Saturday, March 8, 2008

Blizzard of '08

Well folks, we survived the blizzard of '08. It snowed buckets and broomsticks. The official report for the nearest large town was 13 inches. We actually got someplace between 15" and 18" of snow in about 36 hours. Quite the blizzard for these parts. We will be digging out for a few days to come. The road crews are still on highway and state rt. level for there clean up. They haven't yet started on secondary streets so it might be Monday before they ever plow the subdivisions and back roads. I was able to get out for a few blocks to run to UDF and buy Skoal and diet coke, the important thing. Actually, truth be known, I just wanted to go play in it on the roads for a short trip. The snow on the roads had not been plowed at all but a neighbor with a kick but monster truck left some king size ruts for the rest of us to follow in and get out. It was a lot of fun, if only for a few minutes. The neighbor kids did my driveway for me, twice, and kids and adults have been playing in the front yards and streets so the view out the front window is just kinda messy. The view out the back window is beautiful and pristine with undisturbed blankets of snow covering everything. I mention the front being messy for a reason. I need to relate to you what my daughter Gracie (she is 4 remember) had to say to me a little while ago.


Gracie has just finished cleaning her play room. Cleaning is not one of her favorite activities to participate in. It ranks just above being constipated for her. She whined a bit, cried a bit but after a long while, she was done. She then came down and wanted to help daddy with his project. I was reorganizing the coat closet in the living room. She helps me by dragging everything out of the bottom of the closet and piling it in the middle of the floor. She then looks at the mess and says, "look daddy, you have a big ol' mess, you made it and now you better clean it up." I assured her that my every intention was to clean up my mess. She then waltzes over to the window and says, "daddy, who put all that snow out there?

I answer, " no body put it out there sweety, snow falls from the sky, its just another one of God's beautiful creations"

she then replies," Well, its a mess out there, if Jesus made that mess, is He gonna clean it up"


Okay, it took me a minute to recover before I could answer that one. But once I regained my composure I did answer.


"Yes sweety, he will send the sun and some warm weather to clean it all up for us"


she just said, "oh" and moved on.


Oh to have the understandings and viewpoints of a child. It is priceless. For they are truly the greatest in heaven.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Not that I don't like your inspirational comments, but I feared we would never hear these great stories again.

I'm glad your enjoy the snow and managed to get Diet Coke (I think Angie once referred to it as "the nector of the gods"). I, too, am a Diet Coke fiend and believe that the universe would spin into chaos without my morning Diet Coke fix.

Gracie is awesome! Thanks for sharing that story...it was beautiful.

Thoughts From Jeff said...

We got quite a bit of snow as well. We ended up with 18 inches I think.

The kids did not play out too much because of the cold - single digits. They may hit the outside for a little while in a few minutes.