Friday, March 21, 2008

Tired.

You know what drives me absolutely nuts? You know what makes me want to drill a hole in a urinal puck, run a chain through it and call it my Mr. T starter set? Stereotyping and racism. I knew it was out there before and I am even more aware of it now, but I would like to think that I rarely if ever participate in it. Now, before I blow a vein on a little tirade, let me make a few things clear, I don't see color, period. I don't care about the color of skin in relation to who a person is. I don't care if people are black, white, Oriental, Indian, etc. I make no assumptions about you based on your apparent race. I think the most beautiful women in the world are women of color, but that's a different blog on different day, other than things like this, color is irrelevant to me. Now, having said that, what brings racism to my blog today, or more precisely, brings stereotyping to the front of my mildly irked list. I just had a guy leave here a bit ago, a black man, who just found out I have a Chinese daughter. When most people find this out the first thing they say is, OH, my friend, coworker, neighbor, second cousin did that. That is normal, and acceptable, but the next line, "she's Chinese, bet she's smart" Well, as a matter of fact she is smart, a little too smart some days, I bet you like fried chicken and watermelon too, maybe a little too much judging from you girth, can you dance? I'm a white guy, I have no rhythm, cant jump either. Where does this drivel come from? Why do people think Chinese kids are smarter than most? He even told me to get her in private school so she would have teachers who could keep up with her math and spelling abilities. Yes I know, I have seen the little Oriental kids winning the spelling bee's etc. I have also seen Vanilla Ice dance and know he cant, but what does our race have to do with these things in reality? NOTHING. Am I a bit oversensitive? Yes, most likely. But this whole thing with Obama's pastor and bashing "whitey" has me irritated already. It drives me nuts to hear, "I am black, I have to vote for Obama" or "I am white, I cant vote for Obama" I have heard both of these things and it makes my head swim. I am descended from Greek, Native American Indian, and British Isles. Does this mean I must vote somebody with the same heritage as me? If so I need to quick call grandpa and tell him he's in the race.


I think its time to unleash Super Plumber Ninja Dad on somebody. I will have to introduce Gracie to this guy and let her explain to him that "thats not very nice to do to somebody" She does this in such a way (lip stuck out, eyes curled up) that even Super Plumber Ninja Dad has no defense.

Thanks for the picture Dale (Digger---------------> )

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Ahhhhhhhh yes! You are very welcome!

Unknown said...

Actually Vanilla Ice did not dance that badly...

I mean, IMHO he danced as well as MC Hammer.

Dreaming again said...

I have a theory on why all these Chinese and Indian kids are winning the spelling bees and math meets ...

because their cultures place such strong stances on family values. It's not so much that they place a strong sense on academic values, they do ..but it's the FAMILY sense that they get ... the parents sit down with these kids an work together to do their homework, they play together, work together, celebrate together, mourn together, they play together, rest together ...they simply are a family ..and the end result is ..
effective children ...growing up to be effective adults.

If smart is what we see ... then ..that's our problem, the real issue is that we're seeing functioning families.

Gracie is smart ... I've heard her ... but she's got a functioning family ..that's the real root of the issue, not gender, not race.