Wednesday, March 12, 2008

sniff.. sniff...



It is with great sadness that today I remove the link to “vote for Mike Huckabee”. Today I weep and dress in sackcloth with ashes. Today I mourn the loss of a great candidate and great man. Mike’s entire platform pulled at my inner being with is promise to write a “right to life amendment” his ideas about restructuring the tax code to go to the “fairtax”. His beliefs in family values as well as his love of God and country all seemed real to me. When I look at the three remaining options we have to choose from for our next leader, the leader of the free world, the leader of the greatest nation on earth, I am not filled with confidence and glee. I am filled with fear and despair. The democrats are promising great change and new directions. Wonderful, we need both, but I don’t see how we can afford the proposed change and I don’t like the new direction. An acceleration vector towards a brick wall is a new direction, a downward spiral into a sulfur fire is a new direction, but not one I am interested in. Universal health care and free college tuition are both wonderful things, but who does the money come from and who ends up in control of things? Obama says he can bring change, yeah, so can I but you don’t want me running your local water buffalo lodge, let alone share with me the nuclear secrets of the largest military force in the world. I can change things a lot, but, do you want to share with me the truth about space aliens and the way we reverse engineered our stealth program from a crashed Gazoo space ship? Enough of this, I am grumpy because I am in mourning for Mike. I am sitting in the dust in despair and thrashing my own back until it opens in welts. Two recent media comments concerning Mike struck me with great interest. First, on the day Mike stepped down, (a dark day with storm clouds, a day that reminded me of the old testament when God said, okay you really really want a king, here ya’ go) he made a speech as he stepped aside. The moment he was finished he turned to step away from the podium and Brit Hume (the driest man in journalism) says, “there goes Mike Huckabee, he did what he said he would do” Wow, think about that, when was the last time that could honestly be said of anyone in politics. Mike did what he said he would do, he was honest and sincere in his goals and principles, but most importantly, you knew where he stood, no fence riding. He told us about his values and we said no thanks Mike. I pause here to wipe a tear. Next, he was interviewed on fox last night and was asked how he would handle Hillary if he had gotten the nomination. He said that she keeps telling us all about her 35 years experience, but she was near the job, not in the job. It would be like me saying I understood what childbirth was like because I was in the delivery room when it happened, the mother would slap me sideways if I said that. I love this guys perspective on things. I hope he sticks around and runs again because this was just a bad year to try it. Look at the field that was out there, the democratic side ran a multicultural circus. It was billed as the women, the black man, the Hispanic man and the rich white guy primary. I love the fact that they can field that diversity, but Richardson was the only one who doesn’t make me loose sleep at night. Then you have the republican side show with: A cult member in holy underwear with the believability of a snake oil salesman, vs, I am not really a lawyer but I played one on TV and slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night (Fred), VS, Fredo from the Godfather, (Ron Paul), vs, I ran New York and saved it, so I can run the world (Rudy) vs. John, I have been in service my whole life and now its my turn, McCain, vs, several other rich white guys nobody knows, and then you have Mike, he did what he said he would do. Try again Mike, the next round cant be as whacked as this one was. Maybe McCain will give you a cabinet post or something, I think he owes you that much, good luck Mike and don’t give up yet……



(just as an addendum to anybody who hasn't read this blog before, dont be offended or take things too seriously as I stir sarcasm and reality together to created a cassorole of life and humor)

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I too am a Mike Huckabee fan since the time he was governor while we lived in Arkansas. I always enjoyed hearing him speak, he didn't mince words and he just comes across as an honest, likeable person who lives by his morals.

Anonymous said...

"Universal health care and free college tuition are both wonderful things".......ARE YOU HIGH?

Gracesdad said...

Am I high? No, sarcasticly pandering to the far left maybe, but not high. Please re-read last line. Maybe I should have said, "Universal health care and free college tuition free housing free cheese free cell phones and free love are wonderful things,"

Anonymous said...

Maybe I should have said, "Universal health care and free college tuition free housing free cheese free cell phones and free love are wonderful things,"

Darn right they are! :) Well, maybe not the free love--that would interfere with my Christian sensibilities.

I'm definitely all about the free cheese though.

Huckabee plays guitar--when was the last time you heard of a president doing that? I mean, Bill played the sax, but it's not the same.

Don't despair, Chris, Ron Paul's still in the race! :)