Thursday, October 4, 2007

Time to whine and snivel.

My boss had heart surgery in November of '06, and again in July of '07. As of tonight he is off to the Cleveland Clinic and is being prepared for heart surgery number 3. He is only 56 or so years old and was a marathon runner until last November so he is in really good shape, but something is wrong and the doc's here in Cincinnati have not been able to correct the problem. This is obviously a big deal for him and his family, but it causes a few problems for me as well. You see, the shop I work in is small, 7 employees, plus one part time engineer, me and the owner. The only two people with keys or the ability to open and close are me and the owner. This causes some difficulty when one of us is not available. I felt bad when we went to China a few years back because he was alone for 3-1/2 weeks while I was gone. Since this started, I have been alone for months at a time. I expect to be doing both of our jobs again for the rest of the year or so. This gets a bit tiresome after a while. I dont mind the added responsibility, but the added pressure and lack of time off wears one down over time. We were supposed to go to Mexico in July, that trip was cancelled and rescheduled for October. It is now cancelled indefinitely. I dont mind being rescheduled but I need a break from the real world for a while. I need to "recharge" as Pastor Mark calls it. If I cant get out of town for a little while I would settle for an hour or two of fantasy induced adrenaline here and there, but thats not easily accomplished either at the moment.
I need a reality break.
I need a vacation from responsibility
I need a spell check button and I need it now.

No comments: